Wed 23rd December 2015How your business can survive high winter bills
Christmas is now fast approaching, and with the UK potentially facing one of the longest and coldest winters in over 60 years, you need to prepare your business to cope with climbing winter bills.
As temperatures begin to fall and the nights are getting darker, most business’ electricity and gas use will begin to rise significantly. Not only do you need more power for lights and heating but staff may be working longer hours and businesses open for longer to maximise sales throughout this period.
Many businesses struggle to keep on top of bills as it is. Prevention is always better than cure, so by making a few changes now, you could help keep your costs down and lower the chance of an expensive bill in the New Year.
Here are some quick tips to help you survive winter bills this Christmas:
- Bleeding radiators- let our any air that has become trapped inside a radiator so they are working efficiently. While you’re at it, make sure all portable heaters are functioning as they should.
- Temperature- prevent pipes from freezing and cracking by maintaining at least a four degrees Celsius heating in empty buildings.
- Set your heating then lock it- to avoid any employees changing the temperature settings, consider a locking cover over the controls.
- Working longer hours? Working longer hours means using extra electricity and gas. Half-hourly meters are subject to peak demand charges. If you are opening later to fulfil Christmas orders, you must be aware you could be paying more for your power. Find out what distribution of system charges are.
- Close your doors- this will avoid unnecessary heat loss and keeping the doors closed can reduce your heating costs by 30%
- Turn it off- ensure all computers/ lights /machinery are switched off in empty offices over the winter period and not just on standby- make staff aware of what they have to do.
- Increase heat gain- by removing blinds, solar screens, or awning on the south and west-facing windows you will be able to help increase heat gain during the winter months. You can replace these during the summer period.
Take control of your energy bills by taking these simple steps to avoid any serious bill costs arising. This can save you time, effort and money, allowing your business to continue as normal.
Call Chamber Energy Solutions on 0333 000 0132 to find out more energy saving tips.